The Ravenstone Design Technology Curriculum Intent
At Ravenstone we have a high quality Design Technology curriculum which helps our pupils to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks and become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. They develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
Our Approach to Design Technology
- Our Design and Technology approach is based on the teaching of skills from the National Curriculum, set against topics which provide the context to our lessons.
- Lessons are taught on half termly basis, and are interchangeable with Art across the school. As a result, Design and Technology is taught for one half term and Art for the other.
- During a Design and Technology unit, lessons are taught each week and an hour is dedicated to each lesson.
- Our lessons combine knowledge and provide challenging opportunities for imagination and creativity to build children’s determination and confidence.
- The tasks ensure progression of learning and skills through teamwork as well as individual tasks with endless opportunities to learn and develop lifelong skills.
- The building blocks of Design, Make, and Evaluate are applied to allow reflection and consideration of ways of improvement and future targets.