The Hive is a our specalist unit for children on the autism spectrum.
We opened in November 2017. We will eventually cater for 16 pupils, from reception to year 6, but in this beginning phase we have 4 pupils, in reception and year 1 (2 in each year group).
Pupils in The Hive have opportunities throughout the day to access mainstream education, with support from the specialised ASD trained staff.
- 2 classrooms set up according to TEACCH principles
- a sensory room
- a soft play room
- an outdoor learning garden
- therapy/quiet room for more individualised learning
- high staff-pupil ratio
What we provide:
- A highly differentiated curriculum to ensure the needs of all pupils are met and that all pupils progress to their fullest potential.
- An individualised approach to encourage independence and life skills.
- Fun and exciting learning opportunities, which help to remove the emotional barriers and to ensure a positive, safe and respectful environment for every pupil.
- Specialised teaching approaches using ASD specific strategies such as TEACCH, SCERTS, Intensive Interaction, Makaton and PECS.
- Inclusion opportunities in the mainstream school in relevant year groups.
- A commitment to working with parents through regular communication and workshops.
- A multidisciplinary approach to learning to ensure speech, language and communication needs are met, as well as motor skill development.
Visiting The Hive and admissions:
If you would like to visit or have a question, please contact Geraint Davies (head of base).
Our guiding principles for admission can be found here
All applications must be made via Wandsworth borough's consultation process.
Please contact the school if you would like to attend a tour of the school. We hold these monthly on a set date.